Thursday, May 1, 2008

Poor little Ethan...no more red jello!!!

Yesterday, Ethan and I went to Primary Children's Hospital for Ethan to have his tonsils out.
His tonsils are so huge and have always been large, but recently the Orthodontist said that his lack of airway is causing him to strain his neck to breathe, causing his teeth to grow in wrong. So...off to the ENT we went. And sure enough the ENT thought tonsil removal would significantly help Ethan.

Here is Ethan right before surgery. They had him draw a face on a "mini me" so he could feel comfortable about being there. He even got to play video games while we waited.




This is Ethan right after he came out of surgery. He was really groggy and didn't talk at all. He just kind of nodded his head and then went back to sleep. We let him sleep for a good hour after surgery.






Here is another picture of Ethan sleeping after surgery.



Finally Ethan started to wake up a little and he was so cute, because I said I'm going to take a picture so you remember ok? And he sat up and smiled. What a sweetheart.
It's really hard to see your kids hurting and hooked up to stuff. (As many of you Mom's out there already know.) It was definitely another "teary eyed" moment for me. Ethan is such a good kid. He never really complains and just kind of goes with the flow. He has such a nice personality that way.

So after spending about 5 hours at the hospital, we were finally cleared to go home. Ethan slept the entire car ride home. He stayed on the couch for a little while after getting home and then asked for his bed.

Things seemed to be going pretty smoothly, until about 9:30pm when the red JELLO he had been eating all evening decided not to agree with him. Well, of course he didn't quite make it to the bathroom, so right on the carpet lies a lovely pinkish hue to my carpet. The light blue bathroom rug is now a red polka dotted rug despite all my cleaning efforts.

Poor Ethan, can hardly swallow and then loses his dinner everywhere! I got him cleaned up and back in bed, while Matt bathed Sadie. (since she was right in the line of fire, but luckily only had a diaper on). We got all the kids settled and I started the cleaning process. I got out my steam vac and began steaming the carpet. After 20 minutes, the stain was still as bright red as ever. I got the spot cleaner out and began to scrub...and scrub....and scrub...and steam more and scrub more...after 4 hours of this I looked on the Internet for help. I tried salt, ivory soap, laundry detergent, everything listed...and it did help a little. But there is still a basketball sized pink spot in the middle of my floor. So if any of you have any suggestions...other than replace the carpet...I'm up for anything!!!

At 1:30am when I finally decided to quit trying, I checked on Ethan one last time and then went to bed.

Ethan slept all the way until 7am. I thought his first night went great (if you don't count the red jello puke stain on my carpet).

I gave Ethan more pain medicine and he seems to be doing fine. He's really excited to have a milkshake for breakfast....vanilla of course...nothing but white things are going in this kids mouth for the next week!!! I've learned my lesson. I was just so excited to see him finally interested in eating anything, I didn't think that the anesthesia could possibly have such a bad effect on him.

So for the next 10 days, Ethan is restricted to bed rest. (not that he'll be up for anything else) But that means Erin is home bound. If my blog gets a little cranky as the week goes on...you'll know it's because the cabin fever is taking over.

Ethan is really a great patient. He hasn't complained 1 time. He's really a good sport. I look forward to 2 weeks from now when the results of this surgery will start to really pay off. He should be able to sleep better, run longer, eat better, speak better and his teeth should start growing in a normal direction (as opposed to straight out). I love this kid!!! I hope in 2 weeks I can still sing the same tune!!!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

GrandmaCathy said...

What a good sport you are Ethan . . . AND Erin ! ! ! ! Hope the recovery period goes well.

Sure love ya.

Unknown said...

Awwwww....what a sweetie! When Parker was sick at Thanksgiving, I sent Joe to the store to get some gatorade. He came back with the red flavor, thinking it would taste the best. I agreed (not thinking, obviously). My sister and brother-in-law freaked out and reminded us of what happens with RED stuff. I don't have any advice, but I hope Ethan continues to recover. Enjoy staying home...sometimes it's nice to have a little excuse to have to just take it easy! That usually only lasts for a day, though...so I hope you survive the week! Love ya!

The Garners said...

I had no idea you were off with your sweetie to surgery! There's nothing sadder than a little boy who is sick. If they only knew the kind of stuff they could get while in that state!! They could bribe quite a bit of stuff! Good thing that they don't catch on until they're too old to be that cute anymore.

Good luck!

The Wilson Family said...

So, I must be experiencing those pregnant hormons because as soon as I saw little Ethan laying in the hospital bed I started bawling, seeing your 'babies' go through any sort of pain is the worst! What a tough little guy and what a great mommy you are...send him lots of love from our little family!

Kim said...

Sweet boy you have! I'm wishing him a speedy recovery with no more red jello! Good luck to you this week at home. You're right- the first day is great then you get the cabin fever. Wish I could bring you both a get well treat! By the way, I LOVE your new photography business. You go, girl! If we come out to UT this summer, I might see if you can work me in for a family photo shoot in the mountains!

Love ya!